You can combine exercise with other activities, such as watching TV. It’s easy to have short bouts of activity several times a day, which will help keep your fitness levels up whilst still allowing you to spend time with your loved ones.
Christmas is a time for family and making memories with those you love. Although you’re likely to spend more time at home during the festive season, there’s no reason why that should impact on your fitness levels as there are plenty of ways to keep active, even with the children around!
Even better, allowing your kids to see you being active, sets a good example for them and will impact on their lifestyle choices in later life. So here’s a round up of our Fit Tips throughout December;
1. Do housework with renewed vigour – put your favourite tunes on, it’ll make this otherwise boring activity fun!
2. Work in the garden or mow the grass. Using a riding mower doesn’t count! Rake leaves, prune, dig and pick up trash.
3. Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
4. Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.
5. When walking, pick up the pace from leisurely to brisk. Choose a hilly route.
6. When watching TV, sit up instead of lying on the sofa. Or stretch. Better yet, spend a few minutes pedalling on your stationary bicycle while watching TV.
7. Throw away your remote control and get up to change channels.
8. Instead of asking someone to bring you a drink, get up off the couch and get it yourself.
9. Stand up while talking on the telephone.
10. Walk the dog.
11. Park farther away at the shopping mall and walk the extra distance. Wear your walking shoes and sneak in an extra lap or two around the mall.
12. Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level.
We wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!